|Date of Creation
Artist signature and seal in image
JAODB 31280; artelino 57503
This print shows the Golden Pavillion (Kinkakuji) viewed from across a pond in the rain. The Golden Temple was the retirement villa of the shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. In accordance with will, it became a Zen temple of the Rinzai sect after his death in 1408. The top two floors are covered in gold leaf. An impressive structure, it overlooks a large pond. It is the only building left of Yoshimitsu’s former retirement complex. It burned down twice during the Onin civil war that destroyed much of Kyoto; and once again more recently in 1950 when it was set on fire by a fanatic monk and rebuilt in 1955.
Format is Oban tate-e. Some printer smudges in right margin. Kento cut in lower right corner used to align blocks and is not a flaw.